Thursday 20 October 2011

Weird Massages

I had a very amusing conversation with my friend Chloe yesterday. She had been feeling a bit under the weather and booked herself in for a massage. Apparently she arrived and within a couple of minutes the masseuse was walking up and down her back. Chloe, who had never experienced a Thai Massage before was finding the whole process a bit weird and painful but kept quiet and let the woman continue.

After ten minutes of someone walking up and down her body (and putting her foot down particularly hard on her calf muscles for some reason) Chloe was relieved that this part of the treatment was over. However, things got worse when the woman started pounding her poor shoulder to within an inch of it's life.

I went for a massage a few months ago which was amazing but I found it a bit too much when the beautician put her hands slightly too close to my knicker line for comfort. I know that this is common practise but I found the whole thing a little bit intimate.

The thing that a lot of us have in common in this scenario and many others (have you ever been to the hairdressers and smiled stoically as they hacked away at your hair and made you look hideous?) is that we don't speak up. We can be strong and strident in our every day lives and then find ourselves in a scenario where we have paid to be pampered and for some reason we just can't speak up for ourselves.

The only time that I did confront a beautician was after a particularly hideous bikini wax. This woman was so rude and offensive and the wax was so badly done that I marched up to the owner of the salon and demanded a refund. I soon regretted this when she made me lower my knickers and show her what the problem was!

No comments:

Post a Comment