Wednesday 3 April 2013

Anne Widdecombe's Tights

I was on ITV1's "This Morning" today and as ever had a couple of fun hours chatting with the array of people and show guests in the Green Room. (Where you wait before you go on air).

I was stuffing my second croissant and in deep conversation with the lovely Professor David Wilson when I spotted Anne Widdecombe wandering in with a large suitcase and a face like thunder. She sat separately to everyone else and didn't look impressed that she was in so early.

Professor David, being the kind and inclusive man that he is went over to Anne and started to chat to her. She instantly perked up and came and sat on the sofa with us.

I introduced myself and reminded her that she had once done a talk at my school to which she gave a bit of a glare and said "I've done talks at lots of schools!" I sat back helplessly, thinking that I was neither awake nor willing enought to embark on an intelligent conversation that would capture her attention so I sat back and took another bite of my croissant in defeat.

However, little was I to know that Anne and I would bond over the fashion section on the Lorraine  Show on Daybreak. As Mark Heyes introduced the first model to a somewhat embarrassed Kate Garraway,  Anne and I both let out a synchronised "yuck" and started giggling.

 Now Mark is a great stylist and a lovely man but my WORD he got it wrong this morning. As model after model came out in clashing outfits, ill-fitting tops and frumpy dresses, Anne and I got more vocal until we were both screaming at the TV.

When the disastrous feature was over, I glanced down and noticed that Anne was wearing a very funky pair of polka dot tights. The woman has style! We nattered about them and she said, "You may think they look good with my boots, but wait til I wear heels... it's another thing altogether!" I suddenly started seeing her as a potential  new BFF. She may be a bit stern on the outside, but perhaps Anne would be great fun on a night out with the girls. We could sip on G and T's and put the world to rights!

Unfortunately that was to be the end of our bonding session as her mobile phone suddenly sprang into action (her ring-tone is the sound of a loud and terribly annoying cockerel) and after a heated conversation the face of thunder returned. Without so much as a cheerio she stomped off to have her makeup done with the cockerel ringing out loudly in the corridors.

Anne Widdecombe...my fashionable, polka dot wearing, cockerel ring-toned, almost but not quite friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment