Sunday 7 April 2013

A Romantic Weekend In.......Swindon!!

A few weeks ago I got an email inviting me and Chris to go on a press weekend to the Holiday Inn in Swindon. The idea was that we'd have a lovely weekend away and a taster of all the things that you can do in the surrounding area. It's not very often that I get invited on Press Weekends and even though this wasn't exactly a spa weekend in Cannes, we thought that we might as well go for it.

Judging be the general reaction when I told my friends that Chris and I were packing our bags and going for a romantic weekend away in Swindon, the place has a bit of a bad press and to be honest, when we left the M4, passed the Texaco garage and pulled up into the Holiday Inn car-park I wondered what the hell I was thinking!

I'm going to be honest with you, if it's glamour that you're after, The Holiday Inn Swindon is not for you. However, if you're after a hotel that is really easy to get to, a great price and filled with the most lovely staff EVER then you must go there.

Everyone was super-friendly and our room was cosy. There was a cute little swimming pool with a jacuzzi and the breakfasts were amazing. (I particularly liked the pancake machine). I thoroughly recommend this little hotel if you are going to a wedding in the area or fancy a cheap and cosy base in the Wiltshire area.

As far as Swindon goes, Chris and I managed to have some good adventures:

- We spent a good hour in the designer outlet centre where Chris managed to get two pairs of Levis for an absolute bargain. I nearly bought a beige cape from French Connection but looked somewhat bat-like so gave up on the idea.

- We had a GREAT time at the...don't laugh...Steam Museum. Swindon is the home of  the Great Western Railway and the museum tells the story of the GWR steam trains. The grand steam trains are from a bygone era when train travel was sexy and glamorous. They are peppered around the museum and if you're lucky, when you climb on board you'll meet one of the old train drivers. These men must be in their 90's and are just fascinating. We were totally enchanted as they told stories of their 45 years or so on the tracks. It was a bit of living history and I could have chatted to them all day.

The highlight of our trip was the easy access to the Great British outdoors. Swindon is really close to the Cotswolds, the beautiful Wiltshire countryside and only half an hour away from one of my favourite places ever... Pangbourne. Chris and I spent the rest of the weekend going on beautiful walks, visiting National Trust sites and breathing in the country air. We came home feeling really refreshed and smiling from ear to ear!

To book your stay at Holiday Inn Swindon, either call 0871 942 9094 or visit www.http://www.hiswindonhotel.co.uk/

1 comment:

  1. Every girls are love to increase their beauty doing something.And using nail art on they can increase the beauty.Now they are very fond of use nail art on their nail.

    ReplyDelete