Wednesday 17 April 2013

Creme De La Mer Face and Body Gradual Tan and Other Stories

In the early 90's my Mum came home with a sacred pot of Creme de La Mer moisturising cream. I was given strict instructions not to use it and at £100 for 30ml I can understand why. However, after a few weeks, it had been discarded to the back of the bathroom cupboard. It was way too rich for her skin and was clogging up her pores.

I have steered clear of the brand ever since, even though it has a cult following and scores of celebrities and women absolutely swear by it. I guess that I am slightly cynical of a brand that is so crazily expensive when there are so many other options on the market.

However, I had a meeting with their PR the other day and she gave me a bag full of products to try, including the Regenerating Serum, The Moisturising Soft Cream, The Cleansing Gel and most excitingly, their new fake tan which hasn't launched yet.

I have trialled all the products and unfortunately they just haven't been as miraculous as I hoped...

I've been using The Cleansing Gel in the shower as a face wash each morning. It is incredibly rich compared to most face washes and leaves my face feeling moisturised rather than dry like usual. A little goes a long way but I wonder whether it is good enough to merit costing £55 for 200ml. There are a lot of good face washes out there and even though this one is lovely, it's not spectacular. Hmmmmmm...


The Soft Cream is a much lighter version of the original cream that caused my Mum so many problems. Unfortunately it is still too heavy for my skin and I get spots a couple of days later. Una from The Saturdays swears by the Moisturising Lotion which is a lot lighter, so it would be interesting to see how my skin reacted to it. However, at £160 for 50ml this is a big investment.
I was most excited about the Gradual Tan which has just been launched. I was told that it didn't smell, went on like a dream and was good for the skin as well as producing a nice colour. On application, I was very impressed. It smelt good and application was so simple. It also left my skin feeling nice and moisturised. However, by that evening my skin felt a bit sticky and the fake tan smell that I know so well had started appearing. The colour was good, but again, how can I justify spending £65 on a fake tan when there are so many cheaper and as effective ones on the market??

All in all, Creme de La Mer hasn't really done it for me. I realise that many women see it as the holy grail of skincare and there must be something in that, but as far as I'm concerned, the price doesn't totally justify the quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment