Monday 5 September 2011

Sephora, Paris


I lived in Paris for a year when I was 21. I had a fabulous time discovering the wonders of fresh croissants, the local market, the French music scene and the Guerlain perfume house on the Champs Elysees.

However, I was also surprised and a bit let down when I realised that Parisian women aren't quite as chic as they would have us believe. I went to Paris in the hope that I would become the epitomy of the perfectly put-together gamine but found that many of the fashion choices for the average Parisian woman were dowdy and plain and that having a hair-cut in Paris is the equivalent of taking your life into your own hands. I remember sitting there petrified as the hairdresser chopped at my hair as if he was trimming carrot-tops.

Anyway, I was very excited to spend last weekend in Paris alongside my husband, Dad and his girlfriend Liz.

As Chris and my Dad discussed the Fantasy League and other such manly topics, Liz and I took in all the fashion and beauty houses hungrily. We couldn't resist popping into Sephora on the Champs Elysees which is like a massive sweet-shop that goes on forever. Shelf upon shelf is stacked with a rainbow of every shade of eyeshadow/mascara/eyeliner etc thinkable!! Top end brands mix with Sephora's own-brand which is affordable but perhaps lacking slightly in quality.

I left Sephora feeling a little bit overwhelmed and slightly headachey (this might be the result of the five perfumes that I had spritzed on various areas of my arm).

Sephora is definitely a one stop shop for all your beauty needs but somehow removes the excitement that I associate with searching for beauty products. I'd much rather spend an hour trying the rare perfumes in the cosiness of the Libertys perfume room or checking out the products in the far classier and more intimate Space NK! There was a manic, buy -all- you- can, "Primark" feel to being in Sephora which was slightly unnerving.

Next time you're in Paris, visit Sephora by all means, but make sure you also check out a local chemist where you will find a plethora of exciting face creams and shampoos and pop into Frederick Malle's Editions de Parfums on 37 rue de Grenelle. (Your nose will be very excited by the range of perfumes created by the top "noses" in the business).

A plus tard x

No comments:

Post a Comment