Tuesday 13 September 2011

A Delicious and Healthy Dinner Recipe


When I became a wife I vowed to myself that I would improve my cooking skills. Up to that point, the most that my friends could hope for when they came for dinner was oven-cooked fish cakes or pasta and Chris would either end up cooking dinner every night or have to fake a smile as he tasted the wonders of my odd-tasting concoctions.

My all time low was the Christmas when everyone bought me recipe books. It was as if they were begging me to improve my skills so that 1) they wouldn't have to suffer my meals when they came for dinner 2) I could provide my man with the food that he deserved! That was also the Christmas when Chris' Mum watched in shock as I tried to grate some cheddar and it leapt out of my hand like an oily otter and landed on the floor. I mean what kind of woman can't even grate cheese??

Anyway, I'm proud to say that I have turned my cooking around a bit in recent months. I am perfecting a couple of recipes a week in the hope that I will eventually have a fool-proof and tasty repertoire that I can use in an array of situations.

What does all this have to do with beauty I hear you ask? Well I am a true believer that you can use the best lotions and potions in the world but if you don't eat and drink the right things they're not really going to do much for you. In fact, drinking water and eating well is probably far more effective than anything you can buy.

So, here is a healthy meal that I made last night and it was bloody delicious! Chris was very proud of me and kept going on about it so this is definitely one for the repertoire!!

Bonn's Beef and Broccoli: (It's actually from the BBC Good Food Website but I think the three B's in my title work nicely!!)

what you need:

1 tbsp olive oil
50g unsalted cashews nuts
400g good quality steak
1 large head broccoli , broken into florets
4 sticks celery , sliced
150ml beef stock (from a cube is fine)
2 tbsp horseradish sauce
2 tbsp low-fat fromage frais

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the nuts and toss for a few secs until lightly toasted. Set aside.
Season the steak strips with plenty of pepper and stir-fry over a high heat for 1-2 mins to brown. Set aside with the nuts. Tip the broccoli and celery into the pan and stir-fry for 2 mins. Pour the stock over, cover and simmer for 2 mins. Meanwhile, mix the horseradish and fromage frais together.
Return the steak to the pan and toss with the veg, then sprinkle over the nuts and serve with the creamy horseradish. Great with mashed potatoes.

Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment