Thursday 8 September 2011

The Ultimate Perfume


Since I've turned thirty and become a married lady I've become obsessed with finding a new signature scent. I guess I've always done this in various defining stages of my life and I find it very exciting!

Ever since I can remember I've been obsessed with perfume. Along with many girls, my love affair began with a bottle of Anais Anais. I moved on to the watery-fresh Escada Oceana which was one of their one-off summer scents that reminds me of my first love. After that it was Cool Water (which my boyfriend at the time later revealed that he hated) and so the list went on.

The fragrance I have been wearing for the past few years is Coco Chanel Madamoiselle. I also dabble with Aqua di Parma Cologne (mainly because I love wearing the same scent as Audrey Hepburn did...it's about as close as I'll ever get to emjulating her style!), Molecule 01 (which gets more comments than any perfume I've ever worn) and my wedding perfume (which I am still totally in love with) was Max Mara Original.

Anyway, I feel ready to discover a new world of more classic and exciting scents. I want to move on from the light, whimsical scents that seem to define our age and start sniffing out rare perfume makers who create scents with a multitude of layers and pure ingredients. I guess it's a mixture of wanting to smell different to everyone else and also wanting to find a fragrance that will make people take me more seriously.

Below are a few of the fragrances that I have explored so far. Like in my mascara posts I must stress that everyone is different and just because a perfume doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't be your perfect scent!

Guerlain Mitsouko: Launched in 1919 many would argue that this is one of the best and most extraordinary scents in the world. Unfortunately it is far too strong and cloying for me. My husband felt it had a bit of an "old woman" feel about it.

Chanel no 5: I SO want to be able to wear this so that I can pretend to be all wanton and sexy like Marilyn Monroe. Unfortunately it's another scent that just feels too old for me. I prefer Chanel no 5 Eau Premiere which is a modern take on the classic. It would be a great wedding fragrance!

Robert Piguet Fracas: Read Jilly Cooper's "Rivals" and you will see constant references to this perfume. The character who wears it is very successful and overtly sexy. Every woman is searching for a perfume that makes her "sexy" and this one is bound to help! It had a musky, rampant feel to it but was also a bit salty and almost meaty on me so that was the end of that! Madonna wears this perfume!

Robert Piguet Visa: A remaking of an old classic, I instantly fell in love with this fragrance. It seemed to warm on my skin and instantly felt like it was a part of me. It is a cosy scent that starts off with a commercial, "Angel" feel but soon settles into something more exciting and sexy. I love it!!

I'm going to continue this thread and would love to hear about the fragrances you love and that have defined you over the years.

Oh and make sure you check out BonnBeauty soon for an interview with the most famour "nose" in the world....Roja Dove xx

No comments:

Post a Comment