Thursday 15 November 2012

How to Stop your Nail Polish From Chipping

If you've been reading Bonn Beauty for a while you'll know that when I was younger my best friend Sally taught me how to bite my nails. Unfortunately I took to my new skill with gusto and it is only recently that I have given up and finally grown lovely, long nails. (I didn't even need a patch!)

Anyway, I have grown my nails by using Nail Tek II which is one of the best  nail-strengthening products that I have ever come across. Start by applying it most days in layers and then remove it each week and start again. After about a month you'll find that your nails are a lot stronger and you only need to apply it once or twice a week.

I also love crystal nail files and apply a good nail oil every night. Regular applications of Rodial Glam Balm Hand-Cream have also played a massive part in my new nail-care routine. It is one of the best hand-creams I have used, smells delicious and has also strengthened my nails.


The only challenge I'm finding now that I have nice nails, is how to stop my nail-polish from chipping after a day. I am in awe of women who paint their nails at the beginning of the week and they are still looking perfect five days later. Mine tend to look awful within twelve hours.

I've been talking to friends who have mastered the art of long lasting manicures and here are a few of their tips to help keep your tips looking fabulous:

My Mum says always use a base and top-coat. Apply a thin layer of top-coat every day to keep your polish fresh and chip-free

My gorgeous friend Chloe recommends painting a horizontal line of polish at the tip of your nail and also going over the edge of the tip with your top-coat as this area is most likely to chip

Sara reckons that nail polish doesn't cling well to dry nails so always keep them moisturised with a nail-oil. She uses olive-oil or almond oil as a cheap option.

My Grandma Connie never does the washing-up without a pair of Marigolds!

Hope this helps and if you have any great nail tips let me know :) xx



2 comments: