Sunday 4 November 2012

Sopwell House

When my sister and I were kids we argued a lot! I honestly don't know how my parents put up with the constant shrieking and screaming.

Arguments that stick in my head include:

- The time my sister scratched herself and then told my mother that I did it. This culminated in a full blown pinchathon.

- The time my sister was given a spy kit for her 10th birthday. Months of being spied on ensued and a particular highlight was snogging my boyfriend on the sofa only to look up and find that she was looking through the window with binoculars and writing notes.

- Fighting like rats in a sack every time we went on a long car journey.

The list goes on.....

Anyway, I'm pleased to say that now we are adults my sister and I have become best friends. Every year we celebrate our friendship by going away for the night as a joint birthday present.

This year we chose to go for a pampering night away at Sopwell House in St Albans and we had the most amazing time!



Sopwell House is a gorgeous hotel and spa and is much loved by a number of football teams who like to stay there before big matches. (Leicester City were staying the night we were there).


When we arrived we were directed to our gorgeous room which was one of ten quirky apartments in Sopwell Mews. These are the most expensive option but the standard hotel rooms are really lovely and there are  a range of special offers available on the website.


Sopwell Mews 




Our gorgeous room and massive bed!




Even the wardrobe was huge!




Once we were settled into our room there was a knock at the door and a lovely man arrived with wine and a fruit platter. As it was a spa break we thought we better start with the fruit but rest-assured it wasn't long until we tucked into the wine!


Next we put on our fluffy white dressing gowns and headed over to the spa which has recently been renovated.










The pool was beautiful and large enough to do a bit of much needed exercise. We also spent loads of  time relaxing in the sauna which was great as it had a massive window which meant that you could spy on the swimming pool area without anyone seeing you. (This is particularly handy if a football team is staying in the hotel!) 

The jacuzzi was a bit on the small size and was very crowded but we managed to squeeze in and loved the fact that the water flow was very strong which gave a great back massage. 

Unfortunately the steam room was still being renovated when we were there but we did manage to have a peek and it was beautiful. I particularly liked the twinkling star lights on the ceiling.

Next stop was facials in the treatment area.


Pre-facial relaxation



I was SO impressed with my facial. The therapist was trained in holistic therapy and while my face-mask was on she gave me the most incredible scalp massage that I have ever had. I felt so relaxed that I very nearly fell asleep.

I also loved the ESPA products that were used. They are very good for sensitive skin and mine was glowing afterwards.



After a delicious dinner in the brasserie we indulged in a night cap in the cosy bar area. 



Then it was back to our room for a movie. We watched "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and then both had the best night's sleep that we've had in ages.

The next morning it was down to breakfast in the Brasserie. We were really impressed with the service and the choice. We also noticed (with embarrassment) that Leicester City were on the table next to us. (Why on Earth didn't I put my makeup on???)


All in all we had the most fantastic girly night at Sopwell House and are already planning to return next year. If you fancy booking one of their spa-break deals check out this link

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Nicola Bonn for great post. I'll be back later for some great reading...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Glad you're enjoying the blog :) x

    ReplyDelete