Sunday 6 November 2011

Some Great Beauty Products


I took a massive trip down memory lane over the weekend. My parents split up a few years ago and when they had sold the house we all gathered to sort through years of "stuff" for storage. This said stuff went all the way back to childhood and there was A LOT of it!

At the time I was feeling very unsettled and instead of giving things to charity and disposing of useless items, I found the whole thing far too emotional and stuffed everything into boxes, handed them over to my parents and forced the whole sorry affair out of my mind.

Last week I got a call from my Dad telling me that they had decided to sort through the storage items and I had to come and go through my boxes. I was instantly filled with dread. The time had come to face up to the fact that I couldn't hold onto everything and that I would in fact have to throw some of my precious memories away.

When I finally got round to it on Saturday, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I mean what was I thinking keeping an old bridesmaid dress that was about ten sizes too small for me, a weird long coat that I once thought was elegant and dramatic but that would look far better on Cruella De Ville and a strange collection of books that I don't even remember reading?

On the plus side, I found old love letters, an amazing painting by my Grandmother that now has pride of place in my hallway and photos...lots and lots of photos!! I spent hours pouring over these wonderful old pictures and I smiled as I reminisced about great family days out, odd ex-boyfriends and some of the happiest moments of my life.

I was also struck by how AWFUL my makeup was in my youth. What on earth was I thinking? From dark lip-liner mixed with light lipstick to blue eye-shadow to glitter all over my cheeks, I certainly liked trying out lots of looks. It's all part of growing up though and my relationship with makeup has certainly been fun so far.

Anyway, I like to think that now I'm in my 30's I have far better judgement and know what works and below are a few products that I've been sent/bought recently that I think are outstanding and that will hopefully stand the test of time when I look back at photos of myself in years to come.

So here ya go...

MAC Strobe Cream:

This stuff is great both on its own and under foundation. It's good for waking up tired looking skin and gives a fabulous glow and brightening effect. It's full of light reflecting particles and also contains a load of vitamins so is good for your skin too.

Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow in Beige:

I adore Bobbi Brown eyeshadows. They go on and blend like a dream and come in a fab range of colours. Their shimmer wash in Beige is one of those colours that will suit all skin tones and is a great base colour. I have been wearing it all over and then using a plum colour in the corners for a smoky effect. For me this is a classic beauty must-have that I will be using both for everyday and evenings. It is also great if you're not used to wearing eyeshadow as it's lovely and natural when worn alone.

Laura Mercier Eye Crease Brush:

Definitely one of the best makeup brushes that I have come across. This is the perfect blending brush if you like to wear colour across your eye-crease to create a smoky look. It makes a job that is often tricky, totally effortless.

Batiste Dry Shampoo Big and Bouncy XXL Volume:

This is guaranteed to give you big hair. I use it when I'm going on camera and it makes me look like I've had a professional blow-dry. Spray it into your roots, work it in with your fingers and voila!!

As Bonn Beauty is all about sharing tips, I'd love you to get in touch with any great new products that you've been using recently.

Nicola

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment