Friday 14 December 2012

Valentino Master of Couture at Somerset House

I headed to Somerset House with Mummy Bonn today for a peek at the Valentino Exhibition.

Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take any photos so I can't show you how utterly amazing it was, but I will try and put it into words....

The main part of the exhibition was set up like a catwalk, with some of Valentino's most breathtaking couture set up on either side. The dresses and and suits were works of art with some of the most intricate and beautiful stitch work that I have ever seen. The outfits spanned from the 1950's all the way to 2012, showing what a long and illustrious career Valentino has had.

There were so many dresses that my Mum and I fell in love with. We adored the Julia Roberts Oscar dress and a delicate pink one made up of  thousands of tiny flowers (this must have taken a seamstress months and months to do). I also fell totally in love with a black and white dress with a massive stripy bow on the back.

Once we had spent a considerable amount of time oohing and aahing over the exhibition we headed outside where we were met with the perfect Christmas scene




Sorry about the quality of the picture, it was an IPhone job, but how perfectly Christmassy is this ice-skating scene?

Having spent a while watching the fun on the ice, we headed to The Christmas Arcade which is a new luxury pop-up shopping mall which has transformed the West Wing of Somerset House and overlooks the ice rink.

The Christmas Arcade celebrates the best of British design selling winter accessories, jewellery, artisan furniture, gift sets and decorations from exclusively British boutique brands, and featuring over fifty designers and makers, including Handmade in Britain, Tatty Devine, Electrum Gallery and Monster Supplies.

Here are a few of our highlights of the Arcade:




My Mum and I have both put these beautiful candles on our Christmas lists..... I've been a good girl Santa, I promise!!



Mum got very excited about these gorgeous cushions. She's obsessed with pom-poms at the moment.




Trying on Christy's Hats. There were so many to choose from and they were total bargains. I might get my Dad a Sherlock Holmes style one for Christmas!


One of our highlights of the Christmas Arcade were these beautiful robins. My Mum couldn't resist and is going to put hers by the Christmas tree.


They're such friendly little robins.

The perfect family!!


The Christmas Arcade at Somerset House is open until 6th January and is guaranteed to get you feeling wonderful and festive. It is the perfect place to find great quality gifts (and treats for you) that are that little bit more special than the stuff you'll find on the high-street.

Valentino Master of Couture is on until 3rd March and has to be seen to be believed!

No comments:

Post a Comment